Saturday, July 21, 2012

Life is fragile.

Ripley and I were out shopping yesterday and I got scared. In the middle of Target I got scared. I thought that at that moment anyone could harm us if thy chose to. Anyone could shoot us and hurt us. For a fleeting moment I was terrified.
These thoughts were not irrational, extreme, yes, but sane. In that moment I realized the goal of all terrorists: to make people afraid in their daily lives. 


Last year, Gabby Giffords, a Rep. for Arizona, was shot in the head in front of a grocery store I used to shop at. The gunman had her in his sights but killed and injured others as well. The night before last, 12 people were killed (and over 50 more injured), at a movie theatre in Colorado. Everyone there just went to see the new summer blockbuster, never thinking that something so horrific could occur. 


I think about death a lot since Mia died. I felt so safe and untouchable. Now death is the underlying current in my life, a reminding buzz in the background.
I am sad for the friends and families of the victims. When death comes so suddenly, it knocks the wind out of you and reminds you of how vulnerable we are.


Today the President said this (and it made me cry):
"...life is fragile. Our time here is limited and it is precious. And what matters in the end are not the small and trivial things which often consume our lives. It’s how we choose to treat one another, and love one another. It’s what we do on a daily basis to give our lives meaning and to give our lives purpose. That’s what matters. That’s why we’re here.”


xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment