Monday, October 3, 2011

Shopaholic

I am not a shopper. I am the type that goes to the store, knows what i need and buys it. If something else happens to catch my eye while I'm there, then maybe I'll snatch that too. But the mall, random wanderings at target, window shopping for fun? Not me. Or very rarely me. So this whole "register for the babies" thing is quite the challenge.

I've been doing my research. I googled must-have lists and got the basics down. Onesies, burp cloths, socks - all the basics are covered. Things that are snagging me? All the big stuff! We live in a 3-bedroom apartment that's great for us so far, but two new bodies really are a challenge! Once you factor in all the things they need as well - I am already getting claustrophobic. So these are my picks for the bare minimum of things we need (and as a first time mama, I could be completely wrong about it all!)

Crib vs no-crib.
We have decided on a co-sleeper to start off with. I am gonna try to breastfeed, so having them in the room seems like a good idea. Our pick: Arms reach co-sleeper:


The dilemma? How long will they fit in it? Our temp solution. A pack-n-play along side the co-sleeper. That way, they can both be in the room for night feedings.
Our pick: Graco Travel Lite Crib


These two sound great for now. Especially since I wanna keep a guest room for as long as possible. But what happens when they get bigger? I can't imagine two full size cribs. Maybe I'll be all wise and knowing by that point. Ya think?

Stroller.
We were at Babies R' Us the other day looking at these gargantuan things called double strollers, and the guy that was helping us put it simply, "The problem is, you're having twins. Things would be so much easier if you were just having one." Exactly.
Double strollers come in every shape and size: tandem, side-by-side, small wheels, big wheels, convertibles - I swear they have one out there with a hot tub built in! And mostly - they are huge! Smart Cars are smaller. The price tags are hefty too. My faves were up in the $700 bracket. That seems like so much (especially when car seats alone are almost $200). Crazy talk.
My temporary solution? Avoid the situation. I know, not a real solve, but my brain can't handle it. So I reached for a bridge. A car seat stroller frame that lasts until the kiddos are about 22 pounds. By then they should be sitting up and we can buy a sleeker side-by-side stroller that isn't ginormous.
Our pick: Baby Trend Snap N Go


Baby bouncer.

This one seems like it should be easy. Baby bouncer. A seat for the baby. Nothing fancy right? Uh-huh, sure.
Living in the US I have gotten used to the whole, bigger is better, more is more, concept. But, even though I'm used to it, I don't necessarily buy into it. I like space, I hate clutter. I am ready for the baby explosion in the apt. But there are things that can be avoided. Things like this:

Not too gaudy. But times that by two. The space is getting smaller.
There are a lot of things that I love. Especially sleek European designs, but to go along with that style comes the price tag again. So while I love love love the Bjorn Babysitter Bouncer (for just under $200):



I will most likely compromise with something like this (for about $40):


Baby Carrier:

I went to Babies by the Sea the other day and walked around wearing two stuffed penguins in the K'tan. This is a gift I'm gonna give myself!


Diapers:

I have decided on cloth diapers. Crazy? Perhaps. Better for babies and environment? Most definitely. Unfortunately this is not an a or b world. It's not: cloth vs. disposable. It's cloth vs. disposable, then cloth options a-z(million).
To get D on board I decided on All-In-Ones, which are the most like disposable diapers. I am now looking into different places to buy them, because like everything else I fancy, these cloth things aren't cheap!. Almost $30 a diaper (but hopefully I will be using them throughout the whole diaper-stage, so the cost will be worth it). So far Bum Genius, GroVia, and Bummis seem to be at the head of the pack. However, there are some really cute Etsy items too. Too many options!




Overwhelming, and I have a feeling I'm over thinking it. So far we have two car seats, maybe we could just leave it at that?

In non-shopping news: My glucose results are in and I am diabetes free! However, my fasting level was borderline, so I am on extra exercise for now. Half an hour after every meal.
Today I am taking my last pre-baby flight to Tucson. I am excited to see everyone. I love the ocean, but yay for mountains!

No comments:

Post a Comment